Recipe: Almond Milk & Almond Meal
Almond milk and almond meal are two extremely useful and healthy staples. I can’t drink regular cows milk, so almond milk is a great alternative as it doesn’t upset my stomach. I use almond milk in morning smoothies as its tasty and nutritious. The best part about making your own milk is that you’re left with Almond meal as a bi-product. It’s very expensive from the supermarket, and very easy to make. It’s very versatile as its used to replace flour in most paleo dishes. Below is how i make my Almond milk and almond meal.
Almond Milk & Almond Meal – Ingredient
- 1 cup of almonds
- 3 1/2 cups of fresh water
- Soak the almonds in water for approx. 12-24 hours, the longer the soak the creamier the milk.
- After soaking the almonds, drain and then rinse them thoroughly before placing them into a blender or food processor.
- Pour in the fresh water and blend for approx. 1 min on the highest setting.
- Drain mixture though a nut milk bag or cheese cloth, i use a cheese cloth over a bowl with a rubber band to secure it.
- Allow milk to drain though, once drained squeeze the rest of the milk out of the leftover meal in the cheesecloth. This will take a bit of pressure and patience on your behalf.
- The milk is now ready to drink, so serve or flavour as you please.
- Take the left over almond pulp and spread it evenly onto a baking tray (the bigger the better).
- Place into the oven at approx. 100 degrees until dried and lightly toasted, i check on it every 10mins or so.
- Once dried, place into a dry blender or food processor and blend on highest setting until its a fine powder.
- Place into a container for storage or use right away.